Enabling OpenStack, mobile application developers, and cloud operators to deliver the following:
- Significantly reduced end-to-end computational latencies
- Higher network resiliency
- Highly optimized network traffic utilization
- And multisite live migration.
A Simple API Framework
Application developers can write to a single API to offload time-sensitive computations, without having to know about real-time operating systems
Handoff from one Cloudlet to the next is based on automated discovery based on the Cloudlet API
API is tightly integrated with OpenStack for full end-to-end Cloudlet managementLearn More
Cloudlet vs. Centralized Cloud
Same hardware, same Wi-fi access point, same Amazon backend...
Sensor data related to the orientation is sent to the cloud, but is computed on a regional Cloudlet as opposed to the backend data center.
The fluid motion application receives the computational results faster with the Cloudlet, and can therefore achieve a smoother display refresh.Learn More
- A traditional VM is divided into two parts-- base VM (OS, Application stack, other template components) and an Overlay
- The Base VM is the same at the Cloud, as it is at the Cloudlets
- The VM Overlay is the changed data that would normally occupy the traditional VM's memory and disk data.
- This Overlay is then highly compressed and optimized before it is handed off to the remote Cloudlet. Unlike traditional live migrations that are dependent on shared storage, VM Synthesis can fully migrate a live VM's state across a WAN, where shared storage is not feasible.
- This migration is called a VM Handoff. Learn More